FARRIS L. WELSH
Small Business Director
Ms. Welsh is the Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC) Executive Director for Small Business (SB) Programs totaling approximately $5B annually. She is located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. She brings broad field and Command experience to this position. Additionally, Ms. Welsh holds a top secret clearance that supports many programs.
Ms. Welsh has served as the Air Force’s Program/Portfolio Director, Combat Mission Support Operations (AFPEO/CM) totaling over $6.5B annually; Chief, Information Dominance and Global Reach Contracting Operations (SAF/AQCK); Procurement and Pricing Analyst (AFMC); Supervisor, Contracting Officer, Team Lead, Negotiator, and Pricer on multiple United States Air Force and Foreign Military Sales (FMS) Airframe Production Programs, Other Systems Contracts, Other Transaction Agreements, Air Force Leases, Specialized Contracting and Operational Contracting.
Ms. Welsh entered her Air Force career as a Copper Cap Intern after spending several years working for the State of Ohio Center for Urban and Public Affairs/Center for Labor Management Cooperation. Her duties included facilitation, analyst, grants writer, and negotiator. She also taught High School Government, Civics, and History for several years prior to her Government career. Additionally, Ms. Welsh has served as an Elected Official (City Council Member) for two (2) jurisdictions in Greene County, Ohio. She was responsible for legislation and policy, as well as, contracting for professional services, construction of facilities and roads, contract and grant writing, union contract negotiations, and legislative authority of a city of approximately 60,000 citizens and an Operating Budget of over $100M.
2013 Master of Science (National Resource Strategy/Leadership) National Defense University
1993 Master of Urban/Public Administration with Highest Honor Wright State University
1977 Bachelor of Arts (Education) with Highest Honor Cedarville College
Professional Military Education (PME):
2006 Air War College Graduate
1999 Air Command and Staff College Graduate/
1997 Squadron Offer School
Senior Acquisition Course (SAC) Eisenhower School (ICAF) National Defense University
Level III Certification Contracting
Level III Certification PMT 401
National Contract Management Association CPCM, CFCM, CACM, Fellow
- October 2015 to Present. Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command (HQ AFMC) Executive Director, Small Business (SB), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio (GS-15). Manages all aspects of the approximately $5B annual AFMC Small Business Programs for the Air Force. Advises DoD and Air Force leadership on all aspects of AFMC Small Business programs. Conducts data analysis on SB programs for the Air Force and DoD.
- June 2013 to October 2015 (Pentagon). Program/Portfolio Director (NH-IV/GS-15), Combat Mission Support Operations (AFPEO/CM), Washington, D.C. Portfolio over $6.5B annually. Provides business advice and program support to AFPEO/CM, SAF/AQ, OSD, and all AF MAJCOMS for classified and unclassified, complex, multi-million/billion dollar Services acquisitions for Test Centers, Facilities, Medical,Transportation and Construction. Advises the AF Single Manager for Services in policy and process improvements.
- August 2012 to June 2013. Graduate, National Defense University Dwight D. Eisenhower School of National Security and Resource Strategy (formerly ICAF). Completed all requirements for Master of Science degree in National Security and Resource Strategy, the Senior Acquisition Leadership Course (SAC), and DAU PMT 401.
- November 2009 to August 2012 (Pentagon). Branch Chief (NH-IV), Information Dominance and Global Reach for SAF/AQC in the Contracting Operations Division. Acting SAF/AQCK Division Chief and SAF/AQC as needed. Provides business advice and staff support for SAF/AQ, SAF/AQC, and other SAF/AQ three letters on airlift, C2CS, attack, fighter, bomber, other aircraft, reconnaissance, mobility, weapons, space platforms, Information Technology and Professional Services. Serves on Procurement Integrity Subcommittee 5 as co-chair and advisor to AF/OSD on matters of procurement policy, pricing and operations. Chairs Multifunctional Independent Review Teams (MIRTs) and supports Peer Reviews. Provides input for Congressionals, Protests, and GAO claims. Provides support to DOJ for claims and judgments. Provides support to AFPEO/CM for large dollar services contracts and provides support and business advice to OSD/DPAP, and to SAF/IA on large dollars FMS business strategies. Includes one year Career Broadening Assignment.
- April 2009- November 2009. Chief of Contracting (YC-02) for both the 662d and 663d Contracting Group (663AESS/SYK). Supervisor and Business Advisor for the T-1, T-38 and Powered Flight aircraft programs and upgrades ranging from $50M to $1B. Also the Squadron Lead on the new business commercial Powered Flight Program and Glider Programs for the Air Force Academy.
- April 2006- April 2009, Chief of the Contracting Division (YC-02) for Acquisition Environmental, Safety, Health, and Industrial Facilities, Engineering Directorate (ASC/ENVK). Supervisor and Business Advisor for Environmental Contracting leases, Inter-Service Agreements, Joint Use Agreements, and environmental and legal issues for ten (10) DoD Government Owned Contractor Operated (GOCO) facilities totaling over $20B per year in the Government business base. Duties include support for critical weapons systems and the facilities they utilize, environmental compliance, remediation projects, environmental restoration cleanups, source selection for ASCs largest small business set-aside O&M contract. Supervisor duties include managing PCOs and Buyers in two different locations, meeting needs of handicapped employees and employees needing special assistance due to long term medical issues.
- May 2003- April 2006 HQ AFMC/PKP. Procurement Analyst, Pricing, Specialized Policy and Program Support. Deputy Cost Lead for OSD’s Analysis of Alternatives for approx $6B ACAT IAM IT program for the Department of Defense Business Systems to improve Sourcing capability across the enterprise; Team Lead for Office Supply Commodity Council; FDO Advisor; Lead Market Research Community of Practice; AFMC-wide Instructor for Cost/Price/Commercial Pricing; AF POC for Contract Incentives, UCA and Long Lead Procurement, Multiyear, Award Fee/Term and Warranty; wrote Air Force-wide Guides for Award Fee, Multiyear, UCA and Long Lead Procurement, and Warranty; AFMC POC for PNM/PCM Guide and issues.
- June 1994 – May 2003 (WPAFB). Aeronautical System Center (ASC) Senior Contracting Officer and Team Lead for Multiple High Dollar Airframe and Foreign Military Sales Production Programs (F-16, F-15, C-130, Special Ops), Lead Price Analyst on complex USAF contracts, and ASC New Employee Training and Contracting Officer Warrant Mock Board Course Instructor. Includes one year at Base Operations Services and Construction.
- 1991-1993 Center for Urban and Public Affairs (CUPA)/Center for Labor Management Cooperation (CLMC), Wright State University (WSU). Research /facilitator for numerous urban projects for counties and cities throughout the State of Ohio for CUPA; Trainer/facilitator/negotiator for CLMC; and Preparer of grant and research proposals.
- 1977-1991 DEPARTMENT CHAIR AND TEACHER of Government, Civics and History, Algebra, English Composition, and Elementary Grades, Dayton Christian Schools. Wrote/edited curriculum. Managed the Social Studies Department K-12. Produced/directed the High School musicals.
- 1985 – 2001 CITY COUNCILWOMAN, CITY OF BEAVERCREEK, GREENE COUNTY, OHIO. Ms. Welsh has served as an Elected Official (City Council Member) for two (2) jurisdictions in Greene County, Ohio for a total of 16 years. She was responsible for legislation and policy, as well as, contracting for professional services, construction of facilities and roads, contract and grant writing, union contract negotiations, and legislative authority of a city of approximately 60,000 citizens and an Operating Budget of approximately $100M.
(Current as of March 2017)